Saturday, July 9, 2011

Honda

A couple of years ago, I picked out an used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan for my wife.  It had low miles and was at a good price.  Tammie had been wanting to get back into a van.  So I got her one.

I picked the Grand Caravan because, in my mind, they invented the minivan and none had surpassed them yet.  But I was wrong... they were no longer the king of the hill.  They had been surpassed by the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna and maybe even a few others.

She has hated that thing.  It wasn't too bad for the first year or so.  But over the last 2 years, it has been in the shop for one thing after the other.  The crazy thing... with all the trips to the shop, we tried 3 or 4 different garages... and EVERY time (I kid you not) when they found out what was wrong, they told us, "Yes, these vans are known for this."  I think the only those vans were not known for was being reliable.

The last time the van was in the shop, Tammie asked the guy which types of cars he saw the least.  His first answer was Mercedes Benz.  Well, we're not getting one of those.  His second answer was Hondas and Nissans.  Tammie soon fell in love with the Odyssey.  So today, on a whim, we stopped into South Hills Honda and looked up Ron Paree.

Now, I have to tell you, we didn't think that we would be able to work a out a deal today.  We figured that between what we still owed on the Caravan and what it was worth, given all the problems we've had with it, that we'd be too negative such that it would be cost prohibitive.

Two things happened today that shocked me.  1. Tammie said that she didn't want a minivan.  I think she's tired of the soccer mom stigma that comes from driving a minivan.  2. South Hills Honda came through.  We picked out a 2008 Honda CR-V all wheel drive with 27K miles.  I don't know how they worked out the numbers, but they were able to hit our payment and the price even included a 5 year 75K miles 100% warranty with no deductible (we didn't want to get nickle and dimed to death like the Caravan was doing to us).

So we are now a 2 Honda driving family.  If you're looking for a Honda, head over to South Hills Honda, look up Ron Paree and tell him that I sent you.  Tell him if he doesn't give you a good deal then Tammie will stop making cheesecakes for them.

1 comment:

  1. John, we bought a Honda CR-V in Nov 2009. It was "new" (187 miles -- not happy about not being told until we got into the vehicle after the payment). We had gone to the Pittsburgh Auto Show in Jan (Feb?) to scout out a new vehicle for my wife.

    She settled on Nissan Rogue while there. I liked the Nissan Murano. When we started looking on lots, the Murano was quickly discarded (too big). I wanted a "road car" because I hope to do some traveling soon. I tried to work the Hyundi SantaFe. I felt it was a good size for traveling.

    Meanwhile, during the Summer, one of our customers let Shari drive a CR-V. That event was like a fly on fly paper -- no getting off that position. Her vision was to/from Giant Eagle, church, and to her sister's house (USC). My vision extended beyond Peters Twp, but it was primarily for her use. She drives 3,500 miles per year.

    I was not happy, but capitulated and we bought an LX (middle model). She likes it. I am ambivalent. We did take an afternoon last September to drive to Shanksville, PA (flight 93 memorial). This is the longest, by far, it has been away, nearly the only time on an Interstate. The trip was useful in that it confirmed my expectations about NOT being a "road car." Any interest in driving places far away in the CR-V was squelched on that trip. However, I do know some people who take their CR-V on long trips. I am doubting my name will be added to their list.

    I find it far too complex to drive, after my F-250 work truck. Stopping to get out is like decommissioning a submarine at home base. The door locks are a great source of irritation. The moon roof, or whatever (sun?, is only a source of problem -- can't stand the light coming from above in the driver's compartment.

    However, after saying all that, she likes it. It has been absolutely trouble free, with about 7,000 miles by now. We seem to be exceeding the 3,500 mile annual allotment, so the driving must stop soon!

    I wish you and Tammy well with the new wheels.

    ReplyDelete