Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Losing Me

I used to love Major League Baseball... even way back in the 80s when the Pirates were bad.  When I was in college I would jump on a bus to downtown Pittsburgh and take in a game by myself.  I watched every game on TV that I could.

Once, I even wrote a letter to the owners of the Cleveland Indians (David and Richard Jacobs) and told them to hire me as the team's manager.  At that time, the Indians were one of the worst teams in baseball year after year. My main selling point was that they couldn't do any worse.  I never heard from them.

But then 1994 happened.  1994 is the year that they played almost all of the regular season and then went on strike; ending the season and canceling the playoffs.  It was the year without a World Series.  It was also the last year I ever watched Major League Baseball.  It was at least 10 years before I ever went to another game.  Since then I have been to less than 10 games... and I haven paid to go to a single one.  Every game that I have seen was because I was given free tickets.  I haven't bought a single MLB licensed product.  Major League Baseball absolutely lost a fan in 1994.  And who knows... my kids aren't baseball fans now.  Maybe they would be if I still was.

Now there's the National Football League.  My current favorite sport.  I will spend the entire day on Sundays watching games.  Now they're on strike.  Strike/lockout I don't care what you call it.  It's a bunch of millionaires arguing with billionaires over how much they should get paid to play a game.

Keep it up NFL.  You're losing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment