Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Drop in the Bucket

Over 18 years ago, I struck it rich; not in money.  Somehow, I convinced Tammie that it would be a good thing for her if she agreed to marry me.  And 17 years ago this Saturday, June 11, I convinced her that saying "Yes" was the right thing to do.  Apparently I was a much better liar or a budding used car salesman back then ;)

An interesting fact about our wedding: we didn't use the phrase, "I do."  Instead, when prompted by the pastor with the question, we gave the response, "Yes."  We took the Biblical passage in Matthew 5:37 literally.

Matthew 5:37 New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
37 Simply let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

17 years is something to be proud of these days.  But it is just a drop in the bucket for what we've committed to.  We committed to 'until death do we part' and we mean that.  I got the better end of the deal on that one.  Tammie is by far and away easier to live with than me.

When it comes to our marriage, I like to think of it in terms of a football analogy.  I often tell others that I out kicked my coverage on this one.  For some reason she has chosen to run slow enough for me to stay in the game. I love her for that, among many other reasons.

Happy anniversary, Babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment