Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pool

When I was young, I always wanted a pool.  We lived in the middle of nowhere.  We had 2 neighbors and one house down the road a bit.  Of the 4 houses we were the only ones without a pool.  I felt so deprived.  Truth is I grew up very, very spoiled.  A pool was pretty much the only thing that I wanted that I didn't get.

That memory drove me.  I was pretty sure that I would have a pool as an adult.  1. I wanted to satisfy that desire and 2. because I wanted to spoil my kids.  Two summers ago we finally bought one.  It was a surprise for the kids.  We bought the pool during the week that they were all away at summer camp.  They loved the pool.  For the rest of that summer we could hardly keep them out of the pool.

Last year was a different story.  For what ever the reason, I had to threaten or bribe the kids to get them into the pool.  I think the primary complaint was that they hated having to put waterproof sunscreen on before getting in.  I also think they got bored in the pool with just the 5 of us, or some subset variation.  It got so bad that for the last month or so of the season, I had trouble keeping the pool from turning green.  The water was too stagnant; not enough water churn.

This year, I hope to have better usage of the pool.  We need to make a better effort to have friends over to swim with us.  If you read this and are our friends, you ARE invited.  Feel free to call if you want to come over.

Hopefully the pool will be open in a few days.  I plan on putting everything together, filling with water and adding the opening chemicals tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment