Wednesday, May 11, 2011

To Be or Not To Be...

A few years ago, my sister-in-law told me that I was weird.  True that may be.  Actually she didn't tell me that I was weird.  She told me that I talk weird.

It might be a Pittsburgh thing.  It may be a Pennsylvania thing.  Maybe it is even more common than that.  She corrected me for dropping the phrase, "to be" from sentences.

I would say things like, "The grass needs cut."  When I really should be saying, "The grass needs to be cut."  I didn't even realize that I was doing this.

But now, I try to make sure that I say "to be" when appropriate.  But that's not where it ends.  Now it drives me nuts when I hear other people leave out those 2 little words.  It's like nails on a chalk board to me... and everybody does it!

Phew!  I got that off of my chest.  This blog needs posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment