Monday, May 2, 2011

Sad About Osama

Now, before you get all up in arms over the title of this post, just give me a moment to explain what I mean.  The events of September 11th, 2001 infuriate me, enrage me, sadden me and disgust me.  I am rejoicing that Osama bin Laden will never plot or cause such evil to occur ever again.  And, as an American and a patriotic individual, I want badly to rejoice that he has been killed and that 'justice has been served'.


But as a Christian, I am sad and I think I should be. If I am to live my faith out seriously and be consistent in my thinking, then I can never rejoice over any person who will spend eternity in Hell, separated from the Living God.  Scripture is clear that we all are created in the image of God and as such, we have intrinsic value.  Scripture is also clear that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God; we have tarnished that image-of-God-ness.  From God's perspective, we all deserve the same fate.  I am reminded that there, but for the grace of God, go I.


A friend of a friend shared these verses on Facebook.  They are verses that I can't ignore when they're inconvenient.


“Do not gloat when your enemies fall; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice.” – Proverbs 24:17

“As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.” Ezekiel 33:11

“But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” – Jesus, in Matthew 5:44



I am decidedly pro-life.  Yet, I am also pro-death penalty.  In my mind, I don't have trouble harmonizing these two seemingly opposing positions.  I don't think I can defend it adequately to convince anyone, but I'll give you a couple of my thoughts on it.


First, as I have already stated, we are all created in the image of God and therefore have value.  Second, if God didn't value life, then Jesus' life, or loss thereof, wouldn't mean anything for us.  Third, I believe that there is a line of depravity and disregard for human life such that when an individual crosses that line he/she forfeits his/her right to their own life (see Romans 13).  But even still, I am saddened by the prospect of another person spending eternity separated from God.


Another friend shared this link on Facebook today.  It is a better read than this blog and well worth the time.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/mayweb-only/osama-celebration.html

No comments:

Post a Comment