Saturday, May 14, 2011

BBQ

Well, we grilled out again tonight.  Paige actually asked me to put my homemade BBQ sauce on her burger.  So I decided to try to mix a batch of it again.

In my first go round of it, I applied the ingredients to the meat individually every time I flipped the meat.  Tonight, I actually mixed all the ingredients together in a bowl.  It turned out quite tasty.

The first time around, I sprinkled minced onion spice and garlic salt on the meat.  Then I squirted and brushed on some Heinz ketchup.  But I still felt like something was missing.  I told Paige that every BBQ sauce needs one thing... something sweet.  Since Jacob had just made snicker-doodle cookies the day before, we just happened to have a mix of cinnamon and sugar sitting in a bowl on the kitchen counter.  It was the perfect final ingredient to the sauce.  I know, there is probably a real BBQ recipe out there that this resembles.  But the point is that I haven't read any of them, so this creation was all my own.  It was good enough for me and tasty enough for my picky kids.  Paige especially loved it.

So tonight, I made a sauce.  I put some ketchup in a bowl and sprinkled in some minced onion and garlic salt.  Then I added cinnamon (more than you might think to overtake the ketchup flavor) and sugar.  Stirred it all up and gave it a taste.  Yum!  But I wasn't finished yet.  I needed Paige's thumbs up.  I got 2 of them.  She loved her burger with Dad's BBQ sauce.

Next time I should probably take measurements for the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment