Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Headaches...

I am working hard at getting healthier.  I've been running, playing basketball and playing racquetball.  Probably some time soon, I'll be adding some weight training.  I'm also working at giving up caffeine and artificial sweeteners.  Finally the last thing that I am working on is lowering my triglycerides.

In the past, I have had high cholesterol issues.  Last week at a health fair at work, I had my lipid profile tested.  The numbers were closer to being normal than they've been in a long time.  Basically if I can get my triglycerides in check, the other numbers will be in the normal range.  That's exciting to me.

But I'm having a problem with headaches.  Usually that would be normal for someone giving up caffeine.  Except that I made it through the whole weekend with no caffeine and no headaches.  The last 2 times that I had horrible headaches have come directly after playing basketball or racquetball.  I can tell that the source of these headaches is in my neck and shoulder muscles.  As soon as I can get them to relax, the headaches go away.

Visiting the chiropractor helps because he twists my neck and puts electric stimulation therapy on the muscles that makes the muscles relax.  But I want to work my way away from the chiropractor.  I need to figure out what I do while playing sports that causes the tightness.  And I need to figure out how relax those muscles on my own.

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment