Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Memory Upgrade

I've never been a fan of memorization.  I'm not convinced that memorization works; at least not long term.  Sure, memorization is a great tool to pass that history test tomorrow.  But it adds little value for long-term, down-the-road memory.

Rather, I prefer to find ways to internalize the information... a deeper learning... an upgrade to memorization.  The challenge is to actually find ways to internalize the information.  Right now, for work, I'm reading SDLC 3.0.  For now, the information is just that... information.  If I'm really going to learn and absorb it, I'm probably going to need to read the book a second time and interact with the information, by taking notes, looking up related information on the internet, etc.

Now, let's think about Bible memorization.  We talked about it tonight at youth group.  Memorizing scripture is a familiar activity among many Christians.  We looked at Matthew 4, where Jesus quoted scripture to respond to the 3 temptations from Satan.  I'm thinking that Jesus didn't quote scripture because he had it memorized.  He quoted it because it was part of his fabric; who he was... after all John refers to him as The Word.

Don't get me wrong.  There is probably a place for memorizing scripture.  Being able to quote a verse when a friend is struggling and having a verse come to mind when you're faced with temptation are a few reasons that come to mind.  But the challenge for Christians really is to internalize the information... make the word of God part of our fabric.  How do we do this?  Like in my SDLC 3.0 example, it probably involves reading it twice (or more) and then interacting with it by taking notes, looking up related information on the internet, etc.  I think that's what Psalm 119:11 is talking about.


Psalm 119:11 (New International Version 1984, ©1984)


11 I have hidden your word in my heart
   that I might not sin against you.

No comments:

Post a Comment