Thursday, March 24, 2011

Slum Lord Millionairre

I know several people who own rental properties.  Last year, I watched one friend buy his first property and rent it out in what seemed like an effortless endeavor.  I've wanted to get into rental incomes, but have been reluctant because I don't really want the overhead property management / repair duties.  Two guys that I work with own rentals (one guy is the one who started last year).  Both guys seem to be able to have and rent these properties without the overhead being as much as I fear. (by the way, nobody I know is a slum lord, nor would I be).

So do I do it?  Do we jump in?  Are there better ways to invest for our future?  What's the best way to go about this?  I think I'll start at the beginning.  We'll spend this year working on getting our finances in really good shape so that we can take next year's tax return and bonus and make our investment.  Then we'll spend the time between now and then praying for guidance on what investment we should make.  Maybe we'll invest in rental properties.  Maybe something else... like a cheesecake making business.

Anyone got a few grand they want to give us?

1 comment: