Tuesday, April 26, 2011

$4.00 a Gallon

I drive a truck.  It's kind of big.  It is a full size, 4 door Nissan Titan.  I love it.  It may have converted me to a life-long Nissan owner.  If other Nissan vehicles are anything like this, I could easily see buying another Nissan the next time we need a vehicle.

But my truck only gets 16 - 18 mpg.  Surprisingly, that's better than the Chevy Trailblazer that I traded in to get it.  At $4.00 a gallon (here in Pittsburgh, we're not quite there yet) it costs $100.00 to fill it up.  I fill up about every 8 - 10 days.  That's $300 - $400 a month.  Yikes!

Tonight I had a sad realization.  There was a commercial for a car (can't remember what kind) that advertised 35 mpg.  At $4.00 a gallon, I could easily trade in the truck on one of those new cars and, even if our monthly payment went up, save money on my total monthly transportation bill.

That makes me sad because I really (and I mean really) love my truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment